The emergence of the internet and its ability to connect people all over the world has played a big part in the 21st century. The internet has given us so much in the last two decades, but perhaps it’s biggest gift has been social media.
Social media has changed the way we interact with each other, gain information, and so many other aspects of our daily lives.
Judging Facebook is the biggest and most popular social media platform that has reached just about every corner of the web. The team behind 99firms.com produced an infographic showing that there are over one billion active users. As expected from the world’s most popular social media site, Facebook has quite a few trivia facts that may surprise you.
- Facebook was originally launched by Mark Zuckerberg alongside Harvard colleague and roommate Eduardo Saverin in 2004.
- The platform was originally designed for Harvard students only, with the site opened to the public in 2006.
- People of ages 25-34 constitute about 29% of users, making them the most active age group on the platform.
- Facebook’s “Like” button was initially called the “Awesome” button.
- Facebook has eight new users every second, making approximately 28,000 users per hour.
- Facebook generates $1.4 million in revenue every hour, which amounts to revenue of $33.6 million per day on average.
- India has the most Facebook users (270 million), followed by the USA with 210 million, Brazil and Indonesia with 130 million, and Mexico with 85 million.
- There are 754 million mobile users of Facebook daily.
- There are 500,000 Facebook “Likes” every minute.
- Facebook earns an average of $5.85 for every active Facebook user in the US and Canada.
- Women use Facebook more than men in the US, with about 74% of women being active on Facebook compared to 62% of men.
- There are approximately 100,000 friend requests sent every 10 minutes on the platform.
- About 73% of Facebook’s ad revenue comes from mobile advertising.
- Facebook purchased WhatsApp and Instagram for a combined $20 billion in 2012 and 2014, respectively.
To see other interesting stats and facts about, check out the infographic below.